Yesterday I drove on a field trip for Andrew's class to the Altapass Apple Orchard in North Carolina. I went with Elizabeth's first grade class two years ago and so enjoyed it. His teacher needed drivers so I had to drive. I wouldn't mind so much but I feel like I'm (along with another parent) are the ones who always drive on the field trips. I had signed up to just go as a chaperone but another driver was needed. It was fine though. I had two other boys beside Andrew ride with me and they were all as good as gold. I brought both of the kids' Leapsters and they had brought some things so that kept them occupied. Andrew and I ended up talking most of the trip there because it was the way we took when we went to Gemstone Mountain back in May when school got out. He was excited to be reminded of that fun weekend and see the familiar sights.

I was the only one who remembered a camera so I was glad I lugged my big one with me! :) I took around 70 photos. There are nine students in Andrew's class counting him this year. They sang the traditional apple song that the first grade students learn at his school when they study this unit. The orchard owners LOVE to hear them sing this every year and had their camcorder, camera and voice recorder ready to get it all recorded this year. I thought that was cute. They name over 30 varieties of apples in their song.

We also got to go on a hayride around the orchard. The owner, Bill Carson, is an awesome story teller. He tells true stories about the history of the orchard but makes it very entertaining. The kids enjoyed that so much and kept asking for more stories! (Andrew is chomping on gum in the photo where his mouth is shaped weird.)


All the kids were able to use the corer, cutter, peeler and eat the apple when they were done. Most of the people who work there are retired people and are so nice and patient with the kids. You can tell they enjoy their job and being around the kids.

On our way home the parent who was leading made a wrong turn that resulted in a 29 mile wrong turn in which we pretty much ended up back to the start of our trip home. We arrived late back at school. It had let out about 30 minutes prior. I had to get Elizabeth and head her over to her friend Kayla's house. They went to a Fear Factor activity at her church which landed Elizabeth back home around 10:30 and very tired but very happy with her night there. She wanted to immediately go to bed but also couldn't quit telling me about her fun night and all the slim and pig's ear and foot and gross stuff they did.
Speaking of Elizabeth, she is now addicted to email

Other things going on in our hectic life . . .
Andrew will start cubscouts next Tuesday. He has had two soccer practices now (on Thursdays). He also has piano on Mondays. Choir is about to start back for the kids at church on Sunday and this Wednesday he'll be starting back to the club program at church. His life is getting busy. Thankfully, soccer is just two months long and cubscouts is only twice a month.
Elizabeth will be doing choir and the children's club also as well as continue piano and cheerleading. I'm glad that's all she has going on for now.
Thursday of last week I went to Mom and Daddy's and helped her to take down the wallpaper in her kitchen. She has wanted to do it for a long time and on the Thursdays I would go over there back in the spring would want to do it but then would put it off and have us work on another project. I'm glad we finally did it. It actually wasn't as bad as we thought it could be. That day (Aug 28) was also my niece's, Chelsea, birthday (my brother's daughter). She turned 12.
On this past Sunday we went to the First Grade Fiesta at one of Andrew's classmate's house. It started at 3 and we left at 6:30 and it wasn't even over. It was a lot of fun. Lots of good food and play and socializing for the kids and adults. We left when we did because it was my turn to work in the nursery that evening at church. I think the parents who threw the party gave the kids $20 worth of toys. She was so organized. She said next year she's thinking of doing the Second Grade Circus for the theme. We almost didn't go because Wade and Andrew were thinking of going to Pikeville. Last minute we changed our minds and are glad we did. We are making sure we'll be home next year!
Monday, Labor Day, Wade and I cleaned out the garage. We threw away a LOT of stuff. It looks nice and organized in there again. That day (Sept 1) was also my SIL's, Temple, birthday. She is my brother's wife.
Thursday night the school had their annual back-to-school picnic. We had never gone but did this year. Well, Wade and Andrew only came for around 30 minutes later after they had gone to soccer practice. It was a lot of fun. Olive Garden catered it plus they had a carnival swing ride, a train for the kids to ride and one of those large bounce rooms.
Yesterday my nephew, Stone, turned ONE! I cannot believe that sweet boy has already turned one year old. Today is my BIL, Stone's dad, Ben's birthday. We won't tell how old he is. *cough*
Oh and I almost forgot!!! My nephew, Tyler, turned SIXTEEN on Wednesday!! Lots of big birthdays and anniversaries in my family in September. I'm behind on everyone's cards and I am sorry. Been sick and haven't been able to scrap in a while unfortunately. I would just go back to buying cards but I'm afraid it would insult my family. :)
I have not mentioned that I did indeed buy two fish a few weeks ago when we got back from vacation as I had promised the kids. We bought two 28 cent goldfish at Wal-Mart. As always seems to be the case when Elizabeth and Andrew buy fish, hers dies and his lives. The same thing happened a few years ago when we bought beta fish (they were in separate tanks too). Hers died. We bought another and it died again. Then another and it died and we gave up. His lived for a little over 2 years. Well, her goldfish ("Calico" because it was a yellow, white and slightly brown color) maybe lived a week and a half, almost 2 weeks and then died. His ("UT" at first because it was orange and white but then became "Cotton Candy" because the fair was coming to town) is still going strong. Andrew told me he had an idea of why it may happen this way. He said something like this: "Maybe because Elizabeth gets hurt easy, she gets the fish that are like her and they die easy. My fish are like me and are tough and don't get hurt a lot so they live a long time."

Tonight for dinner I grilled a new recipe - Mojo Pork. I also grilled pineapple that I had marinated in an Asian fruit marinade to go with it. Yummy!
1 comment:
LOL about Andrew and the fish! It is a good thing you write these down. You should do a SB page with him and all the funnies he comes up with! He *is* a busy boy with all those activities--fun stuff for them both, though. The apple orchard sounds like a neat place--loved the pic w/ the storyteller. He looks like quite the character. I bet he *can* tell some good ones! Oh, and, Elizabeth's emails are cute. Does she know how to type?
Post a Comment