Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Loss of Vision. Valentine's Events.

The last time I blogged, we had snow and the kids were itching to go back out to play in it. I ended up toting my $$$$ camera out in the freezing temperatures to get some shots of them coming down the "big hill". I'm a far cry from being a professional photographer, but I'm glad I got some pictures:




The next day they were back to school and I was back to cleaning my house and gathering my sanity before having them all day long with the weekend. Nah, really, having them home is great but on these days when we don't plan to be home and are stuck home pretty much, then it's not so great. I was still glad for my day to recuperate. ;) That evening we had a get together for our Sunday school class. We played several games of volleyball. Can I admit that my lack of working out like I used to has caught up with me. I was sore the next day!


I bought the airfare for our trip to Costa Rica on that Friday. I took a big gulp as I made that purchase. It's a done deal now. No turning back, no cancellations because once the tickets are bought then you have to pay a big fee to change them. I am excited though. I have had dreams about our vacation - me trying to remember my Spanish. LOL


My sister-in-law, Stacy, lost her grandfather recently. Having lost both of my grandfathers within the last couple of years, I know what she's going through. Here's a card I made for her:


We had a special thing happen in our family the Sunday before last, that evening. Elizabeth had her first time playing the piano before the whole congregation. The junior choir was going to sing that night and she was to play "Oh, How I Love Jesus" as they walked up on stage. She was ready for this. She had that song down. She had played it for her choir and they talked about how good she played it - steady, no mistakes, etc. Well, when she sat at the grand piano in the auditorium, I could see a twinkle of fear. The assistant pastor/choir director introduced her playing and she started. At the very first, just a few notes into her song, she messed up. She looked at me with panic in her eyes and her face had instantly turned red. I thought she was going to bolt at first but I said, “It’s okay!” and she started again and played through the whole thing but played quietly and slowly, not at all like she plays it at home. After she played she was supposed to go on stage with her choir and sing but she said, “I can’t Momma!” and sat beside me and fought tears. :( Our co-pastor, up on stage, saw what had happened and when the choir was finished and all of us sat down (I had gone up to the front pew to take pictures), he praised her for doing such a great job and said how he wished he could play the piano. At the time it didn’t help her feel any better. By the end of the service she was getting okay though and had a LOT of people find her and tell her how good she played. By the time we got home, she was back to herself and said she would to play for the junior church the next Sunday. LOL I felt bad for her. I was worried this would mess up her confidence to play before the church again. She has always done perfectly for her recitals and never messes up, stays on beat, etc. As a piano player that took lessons for years but had absolute fear to play in front of ANYONE (other than my parents), I want her to be the opposite of me and use her talent.


Guess what? This past Sunday she did play for the junior church (3rd through 6th grade and around 100 kids). She played perfectly. She was a nervous wreck and told me her stomach hurt really bad and she had butterflies in them but she did it. She faced her fear. I can't say she overcame it because I know she'll probably feel the same way the next 10 time she plays in front of her peers like that but she is facing them. It did her self esteem some good to play and not mess up. They clapped for her too. The lady in charge of the junior church said she would like for her to come back regularly. Elizabeth was so funny. During church she said she was still weak from doing it and couldn't tighten her hand in a fist. I know the feeling, sweetie!


The past week was just a whirlwind of events. We had something going on EVERY night. AND Wade couldn't be there to help me because of work. I was stressed out. Monday was normally piano lessons but our teacher had something come up and so she rescheduled for the next day but we had Elizabeth's cheerleader awards dinner at Fuddrucker's. Then something I won't even go into developed where I had to take the kids afterwards to Dollar Tree to spend their chore money. (Insert eye-rolling smiley!) Tuesday, I had microdermabrasion that morning at 8:30 then Andrew had a field trip I drove for from 10:45 to 1 and as I mentioned, piano lessons that afternoon. Andrew had a tour with the Cub Scouts of our local TV station at 7 that night. Church on Wednesday and an eye appointment for Elizabeth on Thursday. Whew!



Elizabeth had told us the prior weekend that she couldn't see like she used to when she got her glasses. She had mentioned this about a week or two back but I didn't know if there was any credit to it. Wellllll, her vision has worsened. :( She was like 20/90 before and is now what would technically be 20/120. There is no intervals really between 20/100 and 20/150 but if there were then that is what she would be. The optometrist told me not to be alarmed yet. We ordered new lenses for her frames since they fit her fine and she still LOVES them.


Friday, both of the kids' had Valentine's Day parties. Andrew's was 12:45 to 2 and Elizabeth's was 2-3. Guess where I was all afternoon? :) They were fun though. Elizabeth and Andrew made their Valentines again this year with my help, obviously! Elizabeth just had to use two different embossing folders on hers (using my new Big Kick and the Cuttlebug embossing folders). Andrew also embossed a part on his. I had the grand idea to put them in these cute little bags that were embossed. (I ended up getting to emboss all 50 of them!) I got the idea from my friend, Beth, when she gave us incomparably decorated bags at the crop I went to in KY last summer. She had hers embossed but then all decked out with ribbon and beautiful rub ons. I still have hers. The kids threw in a couple of pieces of candy. They were happy that they received several compliments from their friends. (Andrew's on the left and Elizabeth's on the right.)




When Wade came home from work that afternoon, we had plans to go out on a date. The kids talked us into opening their gifts before we left. They both got a new Webkinz and a few other knick knacks. Andrew's Webkinz account was about to expire. He hadn't got a new Webkinz since V Day of last year. Obviously, we have learned that if you don't get a new one once a year then your account expires. If he registered a new one at least a day before that one expired then he got three months added on. Sounded like a magazine subscription to me. LOL My friend, Kristi, was asking if they still played with them. Well, the desire has waned over the last couple of years. At first it was all they could think about, for almost a year or so but it's just that they've got back into them and noticed that they do, in fact, expire. Limited Too in our mall had everything 40% off where they are being bought by another company so I bought them there.


My card for Wade (using my Big Kick of course to cut out the felt letters and hearts).



Wade and I went to Cafe Lola for dinner. It was very good. One crazy thing that has come out of that dinner is I had a salad with goat cheese on it. I have since been craving goat cheese on slices of toasted baguette. Yes, it has to be that way. Ha! I bought some on Monday when I went grocery shopping and have eaten a lot of it. I've also been eating baby carrots like nobody's business (with Ranch dressing). It's weird because I never liked carrots growing up. I don't think my mom has ever bought goat cheese so I know I didn't have that! Wade ordered marinated olives when we were out. He also got these last time. I ate a few. That's one thing I'm trying to learn to like.


This week has gone by quickly already. Monday night we went out to eat at a local family restaurant in Unicoi to celebrate my nannie's 87th birthday. It was a fun time with cheap food. Wade and I plan on going back. ;) Her birthday card:


Looking forward to my second annual girls weekend at the beach this weekend. Yay! We'll have a great time. Can't wait!

5 comments:

Crafty Girl Studio said...

Oh, I just had such fun reading your entry. Sorry about the eye situation, we have the same things with Gail. Her eyes are horrible. She can't take her glasses off for anything. She wears them in the shower for God sake!

I love your tag on the bottom of your entry...the flower is so cool. I also love the stitching around the circle in Wades card.

Have a great time with the girls this weekend.

Janice Guazzo said...

Great entry. I love the cards. Send me some of those pics from the party. I see my Alex in that one! Tell Elizabeth to start saving for lasik surgery now...poor thing.

Kristi said...

All the cards are pretty. Your kids went to a lot of work for their Valentines. I'm glad they got some compliments. That is too bad about Elizabeth's eyes! I'm glad she still loves her glasses. See, you were a good mom for letting her have the cute, $$$ frames! ;) I hated mine when I was in 4th-8th grade and didn't wear them much of the time!! That little heart is cute in your typing. How did you figure that out?! I like Elizabeth's zebra dress--cute cute! She looks like a 70's girl with that headband. Well I don't know what to say about your goat cheese and carrot cravings. The first thing I thought of I'm sure it isn't. ;) At least they're mostly healthy cravings, right?!

Nicole said...

Awww, sledding looks so fun! I haven't done it in a while but we used to sled and taboggen all the time when we were younger!

Anonymous said...

Leslie, I love all your cards you are doing! Congratulations to Elizabeth on her piano playing at church! And way to go on facing her fears! A lesson to me!

I am a HUGE fan of goat cheese salads - there is one I have tried with rocket, baby beets (diced) and orange juice - it's almost like balsamic when the beetroot juice goes into the orange juice.
Amazing with the goat cheese crumbled in!

Loving hearing all your life events!

Love
Shell