Thursday, May 21, 2009

Happy Ninth Birthday!

Today was my sweet girl's birthday. Happy Birthday Elizabeth! Nine years ago today I became a mom.


Last night when Wade and I were going to bed, I went to check on her and kiss her again. She had already been in bed for a few hours (it was 11:00) but after I kissed her, I could tell it roused her up a bit. I asked her, "Do you feel 9 yet?" She smiled, eyes still closed and shook her head yes. I said, "You have one more hour of being 8 and then you'll wake up 9." She snuggled in her blankets and grinned again (eyes still closed).


She wanted me to bring a cookie cake for her class today. I was going to my parents' to help clean and was hoping I could just send one to school with her. But no. She wanted me there to serve it to her class. Really I am happy she wants me. It means she has not yet reached the stage where I embarrass her. She is still proud of me, proud to call me "mom". So I opted to take the cookie cake(s) to her class this morning (so healthy - cake at 9:45 am) during snack time and I then headed on to help Mom and Dad.


Her third grade teacher gives the birthday student the option of the birthday song being sung as the "short version" or "long version". Elizabeth chose the latter which entails the students standing on their desk and singing. :)



We ended up eating out tonight to celebrate too. I was going to grill steaks but our propane tank for the grill is low and was having a hard time cooking chicken breasts last night. LOL We went to Phil's Dream Pit - her favorite BBQ place.


Our new swim suits came yesterday and the three of us tried them on this afternoon. I have to say that I LOVE mine! It fits me great. Love the style. The top I got and the bottoms I got. Yes, it makes me SICK they are on sale now. Grrr! Here are my new surfer kiddos. Can you tell they love theirs too?



Have to share this funny from Andrew. On Sunday evening we dropped Elizabeth off early at church for her last choir practice. After she got out, we were driving past the door as Andrew asked, "So where are we going now?" Wade and I had already mentioned getting some food while she was at practice (to each other and out of his hearing). Andrew then said, "We could go get some food." That boy doesn't miss an opportunity. We went to Taco Bell because Elizabeth doesn't like it but the rest of us do (and it's relatively cheap). Wade asked Andrew if he was capable of eating his taco in the car without spilling it on his church clothes. "Of course!" he replied. Yeah, right. We drove back to church to finish our food and were about to get out when Andrew enthusiastically asks, "Do I look good?" I figured he was just being his goofy self but as I turn to look at him, I see he has spilled greased laden beef all over his pants and shirt. Wade asked him why he didn't tell us when it happened and his reply? "I didn't know if it would happen again." Meaning, if he spilled and told us and got in trouble and then he spilled a second time then he would get in trouble twice. Why tell us when he could just wait until the end and get in trouble once? LOL And yes, his wit and charm and honesty (or telling on himself) did keep him from getting in trouble. Being the supermom that I am, I was able to get it all out of his clothes with lots of Shout aerosol spray and two washings. ;)


Five and a half more days of school and seven days until we leave for the beach! Woohoo!

2 comments:

Ang said...

Oh Leslie..Just enjoy that time...as you already know Chloe is nine and I must say..I LOVE this age..I mean I love all the ages but for some reason right now..you are right..they are still 'proud' to call you mom..ha
Today Chloe had water day at school and I got the 'running towards me hug' which just melted my heart...With my older one..it's probably ..."Oh there's mom again..ha"....Your kids are just adorable..and standing on the table singing Happy Birthday is the coolest idea!!! Enjoy these years..they are gone in a flash:)

Hi my name is Marjorie said...

Happy Birthday Elizabeth!