Back in May I finally bought some fabric for a particular project I wanted to try. Here's the tutorial I found online for Hair Flowers. My intent wasn't for hair flowers. I have a daughter that while she's not a tomboy, she's not a girly girl. So my intentions were to make them for us to have as brooches and to attach to a headband or whatever if needed. This was purely an exercise. An experiment. ;)
Here is what I did.
I cut several haphazard circles/ovals and used a lighter to curl the edges. With the fabric I used I did not have to touch the fabric to the flame but just close to cause it to curl.


Going through all my drawers of blingy supplies in my craft room I found some rhinestones. I cut a small circle of felt to sew on the back of the stacked fabric circles just using a few whip stitches.

Then I hot glued the rhinestones on.

Simple. Fast. Pretty cute.

Next time I want to layer it more. Next time I want to make it bigger. Next time I'll try a different fabric. Next time I'll mix fabrics.
It served my purpose for whipping it up back in May. Elizabeth's fifth grade was celebrating Mount Olympus Day. She was going as Andromeda and needed a way to fasten the silky aqua fabric over her sundress without an ugly safety pin showing. This little flower worked great.

All the fifth grade chose a Greek mythology character to dress up as. They decorated large panels which they stood up around the middle of the gym in a large circle. The other grades came in and listened to the fifth grade tell stories of their character and they passed out a token to each student. Elizabeth gave out small glass gems to represent the sea where she was chained by.

On to my phone stand or caddy or whatever you want to call it. Cord hider. In this post I showed the CD basket I bought on clearance with intent of spray painting it to go with the phone, hide the cords and go more with the kitchen decor. (Not sure where the phone was in the before picture. LOL)

It's still not the ideal phone look I had wanted. But really, does it exist? I would like some classy, small, black wood stand or shelf like thing that has a drawer to hold our cell phone chargers. The drawers would have openings in the back where the cords go through to be plugged. Until I find one or until I build a house that doesn't have an ugly phone jack coming out of the wall so high up then this will do.
One last picture of something I did for the house. I had bought these prints to go in my dining room for only $10 each but they had antique brass frames. I did not want that color for my frames but black to match the room. I covered the glass with newspaper using painter's tape and spray-painted them.

Yay! I love poppies. And I love cheap decor.
No comments:
Post a Comment