My weekend at the cabin in Pigeon Forge was a LOT of fun. The Fishin' Hole was the name of the one we stayed in! Ha ha! It was behind Governor's Crossing Outlet Mall which meant we were just a few minutes from the Scrapbook Superstore and not in the heart of the busy city. Great location! I think we will definitely be going back. And my share of the stay (there were six of us) was only $100 for two nights. I only got eight layouts done but did I mention I had fun?? That's what counts!
Monday was the first day of school for Elizabeth and Andrew. They only had to go until 11:30 though. Andrew was so pumped the night before and could not get settled down to sleep. He was up and out of bed as soon as I woke him and got dressed. He had his teddy bear, backpack and was ready. The teacher is doing a week of bears and had sent a letter home before school to ask all the kindergartners to bring a teddy bear. I think that is such a great idea to help get kids used to being there - having something familiar from home. Elizabeth was happy to be starting back to school but it was hard for her to get up early. I didn't get many photos of her.
I took some photos of Elizabeth and Andrew that morning but thought of other things I wish I had taken photos of later - Andrew on the playground all happy and playing with "the only friend I made today" (whose name is Vijay), all the school supplies we bought and packed in their backpacks (although I did take a few photos of their backpacks), them with their new teachers (I never can get the nerve to bring my camera in and ask to do it!), etc.



To end the day that started out so exciting, we had to at least try to top it by going to the Appalachian Fair in Gray. We again have a good friend who graciously gives us tickets to go each year. The kids had so much fun. The attendance was down so we were able to get on rides quickly - especially the kiddy rides. Andrew had to have cotton candy and then there was ice cream he asked for at some point. Elizabeth wanted cotton candy as well but then started munching on Wade's funnel cake and said next year she wants funnel cake instead of cotton candy. LOL I took around 150 photos!! I'm still lovin' my new camera! Andrew ALWAYS runs for the tractors as soon as we walk in the admission gate!

Elizabeth hit quite a bump while coming down this slide. Her bottom hurt her the rest of the night and some the next day. She literally flew up off the slide a few times while coming down. They must have waxed that thing good!! That IS a look of pain in her face at the bottom of the slide.



Every year Elizabeth gets her face painted in one of the commercial buildings. This year she picked an American flag.
I took some photos of Wade, Andrew & Elizabeth while we were on the Ferris wheel. I love how they turned out. We were at the top in these two photos. By the way, I WAS at the fair but alas, no photos of me this year. I may have to do a scrapbook page with the photo of Elizabeth entitled, "Enjoy the View" or something. :)


Tuesday was the kids' first full day of school. They were equally excited to go and equally excited when I picked them up. I'm so glad they love school. I loved it as a kid and always hoped they would too. That evening the school had a parent-teacher meeting to let the parents know what the kids would be learning, routines, responsibilities, etc. I, then, was so excited for our kids. They have two awesome teachers and I look forward to seeing them learn this year. Elizabeth's second-grade teacher, Miss Lori, is a recent graduate and has a lot of fresh ideas. Andrew's teacher, Ms. Shelley, has been teaching for over 20 years and while she has a lot planned in the way of learning, she still acknowledges that they are kindergartners and need plenty of time to play and develop friendships.
Yesterday was Elizabeth's second piano lesson. So far, so good. She wasn't able to practice the last two days but she did great at lessons. I'm going to have to sneak my camera next week and get some photos. They are in a room that has a window to their backs. Elizabeth is opening up to Mrs. Laurie, her teacher.
Funnies from Andrew:
Andrew and Wade were messing with each other, meaning that they were acting like they were fussing. Andrew told Wade as he took his arm and welcomed him over, "Well, just come on over here, little boy!"
About Andrew and his new friend, Vijay. They climbed up on top of one of those dome playground climbers and stood up without holding on. I think it made Ms. Shelley nervous. He (and Vijay) had to show me this when I picked him up. He said that they were the bravest in their class and were telling everyone "that we are eight years old." Elizabeth said, "Andrew, you're not supposed to lie to people on your first day of school." LOL I replied, "You're not supposed to lie on the second or third day or ever!"
Yesterday during Elizabeth's lesson, Andrew and I ran into Michael's to buy him some blue Duck Tape (don't ask! LOL) and then we ran into Home Depot because we had to buy some type of hand cleaner to get pine sap off his hands. (Insert eye rolling smiley here!!) He saw something that cost $188. He's been learning to read numbers in the tens but I hadn't heard him learn the hundreds yet. He said, "that cost eighty, no, one hundred and eighty-eight dollars, Mom." I responded, "Wow! You are SO smart! Did you already learn that this week at school?" "No, I already knew it. I taught myself. Well, Jesus makes me smarter every day."
I'm sure there are plenty more. While Elizabeth is our creative soul, Andrew is our witty one. He's cracking us up daily with his humor.
The fitness center was probably surprised to see me come in yesterday. It had been five weeks since I had last worked out. I'm paying the price today. My plans are to work out every Monday, Wednesday and Friday after I take the kids to school. Wade will take them on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
4 comments:
Well, the first-day-of-school pictures you did get are very nice. I like the one of the two of them in front of the door. Classic. :) Andrew's comments ARE funny--such a silly boy! And I love the "lying" conversation. LOL The fair pictures are great, too! Poor Elizabeth getting hurt on the slide. :( Julia loved it this year and went many times. The one of Andrew--such a little boy in a big tractor--is very cute!
ooooooooh, I LOVE the second picture of themon the ferris wheel...so cool :)
and I loved thes tory about how Andrew is not supposed to lie ever...lol
too funny :)
so new camera? what did you get? =)
Looks like fun at the fair this year. We actually didn't go. Wish we had your friend that gives out free tickets, haha. Wishful thinking...
;) Julie
Wow, it sounds like a new chapter is opening up for you Leslie, with a bit more YOU time! Yay!
I love hearing about Andrews first days at school - boys are so funny! Your conversations with Andrew are like mine with Nash.
I loved your photos of the fair. We just don't do things as big here in Oz. Or not as many of them anyway. Or maybe it is just you guys know how to do fairs.
So glad you got the letter. I must admit I realised too late I should have put them in two separate envelopes to the kids themselves. Next time. I think Nash would like some penpals ... do you think they would like that? I think he is a bit smitten with Elizabeth too, but don't tell her ... heh heh
Thanks so much for your thoughts - we are all doing okay - thankyou.
Post a Comment