Monday, January 24, 2011

Electronic Doohickeys. Now for October.

Sadly enough I have finally finished my box of assorted Godiva chocolates Wade gave me for Christmas. I have been hoarding them. One funny thing is when Elizabeth first saw the word she read it as "Go diva". Ha.

A typical tax season Saturday.


My kids get limited "screen" time on the weekend (two hours total) as I don't want them on the computer or watching TV all day long. It's good for them because they play well together and more often than not they get creative. This particular Saturday they set up a spa. I was given a hand treatment where I had my hands dipped in hot water then cold water and then moisturized. In between my dips I was told to stand in front of the space heater to stay warm.



Recent electronic-type things that have made my life happier:
1. My Centrix 5000 Hairdryer! This is the type my hairdresser uses and in an effort to obtain the great hair she always seems to give me I have tried to duplicate all the processes and products she uses. I bought this late summer this past year. They are expensive but it really does make a difference. My hair dries faster and is smoother. I found it with some pink swirls for breast cancer awareness. I also ended up ordering one for my hairdresser recently when hers died as she cannot order it from the local beauty supply store anymore.

2. Droid. Yes, I finally swallowed the large data package plan expense and got a "smart" phone in late summer too. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I hardly talk on the phone (under two hours of talk time most months!) but love being able to Google anything and everything and any time I want. Plus, I text a lot more and enjoy getting my emails (and calendar) on it.

3. Can you say NOOK? I have loved to read as long as I can remember. When we go on vacation I am always lugging several thick books along to read not knowing which one I'll be in the mood to read when the time comes but now all I'll have is a small electronic gadget less than a pound and displaying (almost) the same size as a regular page from any book. They can hold up to 1,000 books. Ha. Another cool thing is that I have the Nook app on my phone and when I don't have my Nook with me I can pick up wherever I left off. Yes, it remembers what page I was on! How cool is that? Why did I choose the Nook instead of the Kindle (or any of the other ones out there)? Because the Nook will use EPUB eBooks which is the type of file 90% of the FREE library books are through overdrive.com (check to see if your library has a free audio/eBook program). I completed some editing work back in October and Wade was nice enough to let me use the money on whatever I wanted and not put it toward the family money pot. (You know how us wives are supposed to say it: What's his is mine, and what's mine is mine. Hee hee.) I almost didn't put "money" pot and that sounded sorta bad. The family pot. ROFL

Catch-up time again. We're at October now.

I had my six month check-up at Vanderbilt toward the second week of the month. My parents were kind enough as usual to keep the kids so Wade and I went down to middle TN on Sunday night, spent the night with his dad and left the next morning for Nashville. After my appointment (which went well but we are watching one spot to see if it changes) we drove through Woodlawn Cemetery to look for Granddaddy Clemmons' grave. This was Wade's grandfather who passed away when Elizabeth was five months old. I considered him my grandfather as well as he truly made me feel a part of the family. He was the only grandparent of Wade's I got to meet as they all had passed away several years before we met. It made me happy to see his grave marker and I couldn't believe Wade was able to pretty much drive and walk right up to where it was. We haven't been in that area to visit the grave since he passed.

I did a small photo shoot for Staci and of her one month old baby girl and other two girls (10-12). Fun!



We brought back our pumpkin carving contest (10-23) for our Sunday school class and also the chili cook-off contest. It took some planning and calling and talking on my part to get it all organized, but everything went smoothly and everyone had a great time. I bought pie pumpkins and found some craft supplies for the kids to make their own creations. Two teenage girls were hired to help keep track of them and man the hot glue gun. (Pictured is Elizabeth's pumpkin below.)




Here's Andrew's first carved pumpkin (10-26)! I helped with the BOO mouth (free handed that baby!) but he did most of it.


The sad thing is that on Halloween night some creep came by our house and smashed our pumpkins on our driveway. I am pretty sure I know who did it - a spoiled brat who lives in our neighborhood (a GIRL!) who has done some little pranks in the last year (mainly ding-dong ditching) but since the pumpkin smashing she hasn't been back by. She better be glad because after we came home Halloween night from visiting with friends and he saw what some mean teenage girl did, he was so sad (and mad) and my momma bear mode was in full swing. I was ready to go smash some windows myself. I get riled thinking about it almost three months later. Grr!

HaLlOwEeN nIgHt! Or if you're in the south and Halloween falls on a Sunday then traditionally you do it on Saturday night. :) So we really trick-or-treated on Halloween Eve. My parents always come over for dinner and my sister's family came over this year as well.


This picture of my family cracks me up. Paparazzi? Of course I was in the line up taking photos too until I realized how comical it was for us to all being snapping pictures so I had to record it too.


Heading out. . . One neighbor had set up a zip line for the kids (and adults if you weren't too heavy) to ride down to their trampoline. The kids loved it. It was one of the last houses we visited and made our night end on an exciting note.


Some other things from October included:
  • The middle school going to the National Storytelling Festival. It was okay but next year I'm skipping it instead of skipping the Apple Festival which I gave up this year and enjoy more.
  • They had the bookfair at school which I helped some with.
  • We had to do the cookie dough sales this year for a fundraiser (our school's first fund raiser) and they gave a mega party (which equated to a TON of inflatable games/slides). The kids loved it.
  • Dru, my nephew, turned 16. Good grief! :(
  • Andew's class had a field trip to Bays Mountain Park that I attended.
  • Tom visited with us.

And there ends October in January!

No comments: