Wednesday, August 10, 2011

FREE Audio Book & eBook Resource.

A state-wide spokesperson is what I should be for the Tennessee READS site. I mean, come on, it's a FREE resource that most people do not know exists. I felt I should have a completely separate post on my blog just for it so people will understand what it is and how it works. If you do not live in my state, it may still apply. Go to www.overdrive.com and do a search with your zipcode to see if there is an area public library that offers this resource.

What is READS? It stands for Regional eBook and Audio Download System. It's FREE as I stated above. It's a resource offered by the state for those with membership to a public library.

How to use READS (Quick Start Guide). To checkout and download, you need:
1) A valid TN public library card (for our site but there are other states that offer this site for their patrons)
2) Internet access
3) A computer or device that meets the requirements for the type of material(s) you wish to download
4) The free software (called Overdrive Media) for the computer or device on which you'll use the material(s) available on the READS site

So I've installed the software and checked out my eBook or audio book. Now what?

eBooks - You have two options for the type of file you can check out: EPUB or PDF. If you have a Nook then you will want the EPUB files. Why? It seems the way the books have been converted for this file format makes them flow smoother. For example some books are only available as PDF and the ones I've read that way may have the page number for the book in the middle of my screen. (For example, it may say "page 43" even though my Nooks says I'm on page 56.) As I stated though not all books (last I checked) come in both formats, some do but some may come in only one or the other. If you have the option to choose, choose EPUB.

Audio books - After I've checked out and downloaded several audio books (this downloading can take some time if you checked out long books), I immediately hook up my mp3 player to my computer and transfer them to it. (I use a Creative Zen I bought four years ago just for this purpose after reading many reviews.) The site has a link with all the supported portable devices whether you're using your mobile, mp3 player, eReader or computer.

We have an AV input outlet in the car so I can hook my mp3 player up and listen to the audio book through the speakers. The kids and I have listened to almost 100 audio books in the car and I've listened to way over 200 myself (counting theirs). I listen while they are at school using a portable speaker that runs on batteries that I bought at Wal-Mart a few years back for $20. It follows me around the house while I dust, fold laundry, mop, wash dishes, etc. It makes doing housework so much better! (Sometimes I fold very slowly because I don't want to stop listening. Ha ha!)


Things to Know!

CHECKING OUT PERIOD - When you "checkout" these audio or eBooks, you are only allowed to use them for a certain amount of time. For audio books, you can pick 14 or 21 days. For eBooks, you pick 7, 14 or 21 days. For audio books I usually pick 7 days and immediately transfer it to my mp3 player where it stays indefinitely (until I delete it from my mp3 player). On my Nook I usually pick 21 days unless I know I'll be able to read it quicker - depending on if we are going on vacation and I know I will have time. They DO expire and will not open after this time period.

PARTS OF BOOKS - The audio books you download are divided into parts. Each part is usually around an hour to an hour and 15 minutes long. A book that is around 400 pages will have usually around 10 parts. A book that is around 200 pages will probably have 5 parts. The reason I bring this up is because on my mp3 player, I bookmark where I'm at in the story but often if I turn my player off then when I finish that part it doesn't go on to the next part and I have to look to see which one I was last on and go to my menu to get there. I'm not sure if all mp3 players do this or just mine. It doesn't do it unless I switch to another book after I've listened to a different one. (I usually have two audio books going - one for me and one for the kids.)

TRANSFERRING eBOOKS TO NOOK - There are lots of sites online that will explain this and probably better but here's the basic instructions.
1) Make sure you have Adobe Digital Editions on your computer. (It's free.)
2) Open the program THEN plug your Nook into your computer and authorize it. It basically does it on its own once you plug it in if I remember correctly.
3) Unplug Nook and close out ADE (Adobe Digital Editions).
4) When you checkout an eBook, "open" it instead of choosing "save". It will open it in the ADE program.
5) With ADE open, plug in your Nook (also known as side-loading).
6) Your Nook should appear under "Bookshelves" on the left side.
7) Drag the book(s) you want to transfer to the Nook on the left. It's there now!

If the book will not open on your Nook and comes up with this message "User not activated" then follow these instructions.

RECOMMENDATIONS? - Glad you asked! :) If you join Good Reads which is a free online book community where you can record, rate and review books then you can find all the audio books we've listened to there. If you do join then you can decide if no one sees your profile or everyone. They have great privacy options. You can find my profile on the side of my blog under my links or here.


******************************************************************
I hope I have covered all the audio and eBook questions that I had in the beginning. I wanted to have this post available for friends and family when I share this great resource many of us have to use. (Everyone in my state!) Enjoy and let me know if you have a question!

No comments: