Not many of our friends (and maybe even family) know that we
have been looking for land for several months. (The official daily search began
Labor Day weekend to be exact.) Just a handful know that we made an offer on
some land back in early November (the 8th to be exact because I
checked the date on the proposal we typed up for the landowner) and then we
attempted to buy land at an absolute auction a couple of weekends later. Well,
after Christmas Wade and I were talking about how we couldn’t believe it’s been
almost 7 years since his mother passed away from cancer. This made him start
thinking and before I knew it he was wanting to call the man who had the land
we loved and see what he would be willing to work out.
![]() |
| Looking up at ridge of property where our homesite would be located. |
So they decided on a price, down payment and interest rate
(the man wanted to do seller finance which worked better with us). But when we
found out we really needed him to take the second lien and let the bank have
first lien, he didn’t like it. We understood this. He told us he had been
burned before when he was doing seller financing and a man started building a
house and couldn’t afford to finish it. The bank took it all and he was out the
money the man owed him. We sweetened the pot with offering a larger down
payment and showing that we could afford to build a house.
![]() |
| There's almost 2 acres of woods (at right in this picture). |
He still didn’t know if he would let the bank have first
lien. This would make it very hard to build a house this year. We have to have
15% down. When you are planning on building a 4000 square foot house, that is a
lot of money.
Last night I had not one but two different precious friends
call to tell me they had some “news” to tell me. I knew that both my friends
were pregnant! These are friends who has been wanting a second child for quite
a while. No matter that I was feeling frustrated that day over this deal, the
exciting news from my friends made me so happy. Hello, the ability the have
children is much more important than buying land or even building a “dream”
home.
I began to wonder if the Lord was trying to tell me
something. Wade probably thinks I read into things too much but I just like to
try to remain open to what the Lord has to show me and teach me. I was doing
laundry last night and thought to myself, “These friends have wanted children
for a long time. They had to wait on the Lord’s timing. Maybe God is trying to
tell me the same thing.” Even though we know we can afford this and feel *we* are ready for it doesn’t mean the
Lord is ready.
Wade and I decided that night that if the man made another
stipulation or wouldn’t take second lien then we were going to walk away from
him. The “perfect” land that has all 382 things we want for our “dream
property” would have to slip away. We know the Lord wants what is best for us
and if this deal doesn’t work then it’s not what is best for us. Something
better is waiting. We both had peace about this. Even as much as we wanted this
land. Coveted it! LOL
![]() |
| One of the views from the top of the ridge (inside truck). |
This morning Wade Cc’d me on an email to a bank we are
working with on the loan. He stated, “Please find attached a Personal Financial
Statement for myself and Leslie and an amortization schedule that reflects the
terms that we have agreed to with the seller on the 16.75 acres . . .” I
figured he was telling them what we had hoped to agree on. Nope. That was his
clue to me that the man had called him this morning and agreed to the terms!
Yippee!!
![]() |
| Backside - The property line borders the woods here. |
After returning home from being gone at the Mazda dealership
(five hours sitting because we had new tires put on my car and they found
something that needed to be fixed which involved having it rebuilt and me
sitting longer), the house plans had been delivered by FedEx. Yippee again! I
took a set by the contractor’s house that afternoon and he will start working
on a budget. I went yesterday to fill out the application for the septic to
make sure our plans perk for the number of bedrooms we will have. The ball is
rolling. Yet, I know the contract isn’t signed yet so I’m going to remain calm
(or at least try!) and not get too excited or dream too big (like that we’ll be
moving in the end of October as the contractor had estimated).
There is so much to do to plan – everything we’ll need to
pick out, things we’ll need to buy for the new house and lists we’ll need to
check off to get our current house ready to sell. But I’m ready!
(Pictures were taken November 5th when the trees still had some color!)
(Pictures were taken November 5th when the trees still had some color!)




No comments:
Post a Comment