Saturday, January 26, 2013

Canning Paint.

While we're thawing out from an ice storm that hit the South yesterday......
Circular air bubbles from the water freezing rapidly.
My poor ice-laden tree yesterday.
Now melting...
I am "canning" paint this morning. ;)

I am completing a project I started last weekend during our snow storm inspired by another blogger I found on Pinterest. (Pin) (Blog post)

When we moved I brought some leftover paint from the old house with us. Why? I have been inspired by many pins by bloggers and DIY'ers on Pinterest that I thought I may need some of my fun colors later for projects. ;) I kept the bold reds from my old kitchen, the calming blue from the kids' old bathroom and the happy green from my old laundry room.

I bought a dozen of wide-mouthed Mason jars at Walmart for around $11. You could find them cheaper during canning season or if you don't buy "name brand" or if you get them second hand at a yard sale. (Our Walmart didn't have their brand in that size.)

I got rid of six paint cans from our last house and some from our current home doing this. Look how much space I have saved! :)

Why I like this idea:
1. It takes up so much less room than all the cans!
2. It looks prettier. I realize the colors will separate some and not look as pretty eventually but look at them now. LOL
3. I hate how paint cans rust and when you open them later to touch-up the rust falls into the paint. Yes, I said "hate". I don't usually use that word unless it's something I reeeeeally HATE. ;)
4. You can reuse the jars for storing more paint or for something else.
5. When touching up it's easier to shake and mix up a smaller container of paint.
6. It's also easier to walk around with a jar of paint and a foam brush instead of a bulky paint can. I usually use craft brushes for small touch-ups as I'm lazy and hate detest cleaning up regular paint brushes. I could use the "h" word here again but won't.
7. You can just unscrew the lid and not go find a screwdriver or one of those paint can openers when you need to get to it.
8. It is a relatively cheap storage solution as mentioned above.

While I was working on this post, I walked through the house and look what I saw!

Seven deer!!

Our deer population is growing! While Wade and I are excited about it right now, I may be lamenting their presence come spring and summer. I have already started pinning flower ideas on Pinterest that are "deer resistant" for our back flower beds I will be planting.

54 days until Spring!

No comments: