Do you ever feel like the Lord is telling you something but you're not sure if it's Him or not? This happened to me on Sunday. I was speaking with a new believer and member of our church in Sunday school. She was telling me about a health problem she's been having and the CT scan she had scheduled for Wednesday. Later I was thinking about her and hoping she wasn't having to go alone. Her problem could be something serious and I know how it feels to be at the doctor's alone and wishing someone was there with you. Both times they removed the melanoma I had to return for the followup to have the stitches removed and hear the pathology report. Alone. Granted I could have asked someone to go with me but I wouldn't.
So I felt like the Lord was pressing me to call her and see when her appointment was. To find out if she was going to have to go alone. She has two young kids and I didn't know if she had family around or not. Like I said, she is new and I have only talked to her twice and Sunday was the second time and it was really the first conversation. I put it off though and thought, "I can pray for her." Selfishness kicked in too and I didn't want not be able to work out that day. After selfishness kicked in, so did reality. Maybe it was Satan telling me to "just pray" and not be there for her. I was determined to not let him win this time so I found her number and left her a message yesterday morning.
The last week has been good. Andrew has enjoyed school, Elizabeth has loved it. At piano lessons on Monday, their teacher, Mrs. Laurie, told me that Andrew has learned the notes quicker than any of her students have in a long time. That made me proud of course. :)
Last night was the parent-teacher meetings at school. I went to Andrew's teacher's meeting and Wade went to Elizabeth's. He took notes; I was proud of him. ;) I am excited about this school year and very pleased with their teachers (as I was last year). They both have told me that "first grade is better than kindergarten" and "third grade is better than second grade". I was in the office today and the headmaster/principal asked me how they were doing. I told her what they said and she said, "that is how it's supposed to be!" I agree and am happy they feel that way. It takes a load off of Wade and me.
Elizabeth wants to be on the cheerleading squad this year (no try-outs, it's all for fun). Normally, I don't think I would have let her but thankfully at her school the skirts come to their knees and there are no "booty" cheers. That gets me when in the past I've seen young girls shaking their hineys doing cheers. Sorry, that's my humble opinion. Okay, maybe not that humble. The meeting is tomorrow after school. Andrew also has his first soccer practice tomorrow evening. AND someone from the Boy Scouts came by the school today and he is ALL hyped about joining Cub Scouts. The meeting for that is tomorrow evening too. Whew! Can I clone myself (and my children)? Wade and I are going to have to work those two evening meetings out and I have an idea.
Back to listening to my heart. The girl called me back yesterday afternoon. She said she was going to have to go alone because her husband was going to keep the kids. She also said that she had stayed up the night before worrying about it all. Thank you Lord for speaking to me and making me listen (and act)! I had an appointment this morning but met her afterwards at 9:30. We talked for about 30 minutes until she had to go back. I prayed during the scan. We talked for a while afterwards. She thanked me several times for coming. I wonder if she knows that it was maybe better for me than her? :) I had also prayed on Sunday evening after hearing the message asking the Lord to help me be a better child of God - to listen more to his "speaking" (and I don't mean an audible voice here but more of laying something on my heart or putting an idea in my head that I know wouldn't come from me) and have more faith. I think I took the first step. For those who know the FlyLady, it's the same - taking those baby steps. Ha!
My "baby" is basically completed now. I'm talking about the school website. I would have never have linked you to it before because it was pitiful. Behind the times. Old. Rather nauseating. LOL There are more things I plan on adding and tweaking but I'm not in such a rush now, thank goodness! I think everyone at the school is very pleased. I am! It is actually a resourceful website now and it flows. I highly recommend Intellithought and Jeff, the web designer, I worked with for this project.
Oh, I finally picked up my new MP3 player yesterday. Don't do the site-to-store pick up from Wal-mart unless you are NOT in a hurry. It was supposed to take 7-10 days but ended up taking THREE weeks. Grrrr! I wish I had paid the money to have it just shipped to my house. I love it though. I got the 4GB Zen by Creative Technologies. It had a lot of great ratings/opinions. While I waited for my new friend to show up today I listened to an audio book by Karen Kingsbury I downloaded this morning before rushing the kids to school. I also bought an audio connector so I can listen to it in my car through the speakers. Enjoying my new toy! :) I love technology.
No pictures today. I haven't been too camera happy and my kids haven't been home as much and life has finally sloooooowed down. Yay!
Wednesday, August 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Hi Leslie! Thanks for your comment. I popped over to say. Love your blog. The colors in your header are great! Do you know Bethanne in real life? Do you live near her? If so, I know your town really well because I went to college there! Small world!
Good for you being a good person and going with that lady. I hope all goes well for her. I will add her to my prayers. Victoria started cheering practice back in July (peewee squad) and has her first game on Sept 6. School starts on the 3rd. I also don't agree with some of the music and dance moves for cheering but this year is not so bad. I am happy none of my girls like soccer because I don't know the game at all. lol Yeah for your new toy - enjoy!
How sweet of you to reach out to that person like that. You may never know the impact you had on her that day.
You are a good friend to go with her to that appointment. And good for you for listening to that "still small voice". :) I think Brian or I need to be cloned as well! Wouldn't you know, the first year Austin does soccer, and his practice is the same day as Julia's choir? The school website looks great! Lucky kids to get Chik-Fil-A every week! ;)
hope all works out for your new friend. Good luck with the first week of school too
Leslie, you are a blessing to the many lives you touch both online and in person. I am so happy that I finally got a chance to meet you and have fun with you in July. Thanks for the reminder to just listen to His voice when He calls.
bless you for your being there for someone in need!
I have been thinking of you and your new friend often. I was wondering how her tests went. I hope all is well.
Kimmarie
No better feeling than when you know you have been obedient to the Lord. I'm proud of you!
Post a Comment