The first Friday in August we left for a week at the beach house. When we had picked the week last November we were afraid that school would start the following Friday and we would have to miss a day at the beach. Thankfully, school this year started on Monday. I never understood why they had them go half a day on that Friday anyways. So we did the usual while on Isle of Palms - walk to the beach to play, letterboxing, trips to the pool, visiting downtown Charleston, shopping, eating out every day and getting dessert of some kind every day plus a trip back to the children's museum in Charleston and visiting Fort Moultrie that dates back to the Revolutionary War just over on Sullivan's Island beside us (to do some letterboxing there). While on vacation at the beach, we all went shopping together for the school supplies, the "first day of school" outfit, new tennis shoes and some more new clothes. The weather behaved for us all week - lots of hot temps and only rain on the last day.
One day when walked to the beach at low tide, a small shark had been stuck in a large tide pool. Elizabeth made it a point to alert nearby beach combers. *Warning: Sharks Nearby*
Andrew lost I *think* his ninth tooth while we were on vacation (lower canine). About a week later, he lost the other on the opposite side. Elizabeth also lost an upper canine the first week of school. The toothfairy is probably going broke over our house.
While we were letterboxing at Fort Moultrie, we saw a large cargo ship sail by, the Serenity Ace. Native American chief Osceola of the Seminole tribe is buried at the fort. I found that interesting.
On vacation, I also started my "campaign" to get back into reading. Reading of all sorts - classics, young adult books, "childrens" books (think Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine and Matilda by Roald Dahl for example), historic fiction, nonfiction, etc. I mentioned a book website I had joined, Good Reads. On it I realized counting the audio books I've listened to with the kids that I have read twenty-one books just in August. And one of the great things is that I bought a speaker that I can hook my mp3 player into so that as I do housework - washing dishes, folding clothes, dusting, etc - I can "read" at the same time. :) It sure does make the time go quicker and it's more enjoyable. (P.S. If you join the site then make me a "friend" so we can share books. ;))
School started on Monday, August 17th. Elizabeth was super excited, Andrew not so much. He got the stomach pains the night before (nerves) and began asking what I would do if he woke up sick the next day. I assured him he wouldn't and he was just nervous and excited. He wasn't too happy about starting back school. I am glad that by the second or third day that we told me, "I'm glad I'm in second grade." And he also told me his liked his teacher which he was afraid about - not so sure how he's feeling about it all as this goes to "press" almost three weeks later. LOL


Wade and I got to go to the ESPN NASCAR party that we attended last year. One of his clients' husbands used to work for them and now her son does. Every year the lady (the husband is deceased) gives a pretty nice party for all the employees who are in town during the week of the "fall" race. Last year there were a couple of drivers, most of the main announcers for them and a lot of the background people that you don't see. We had a lot of fun at it this year. Andy Petree and his motorhome driver came and sat at our table. The motorhome driver was a hoot. Oh my goodness. He was the one who made it so much fun for us (and I never got his name!). (My new profile picture is from that night when I took the time to curl my hair. ;))
Football practice began for Andrew last week. He is loving it. His first game is this Saturday. I can't wait to watch my boy play. His team is called the Redskins. Last week he had practice two nights but this week it's three nights since their first game is coming up. I hope it goes back to two nights because with piano lessons once a week, Cub Scouts starting next week, homework, practicing piano and trying to have some "down time" for the kids when they get home from school, it's going to be hard to stay sane. Preparing dinner as far in advance in the afternoons before I get them at school has especially helped.
Wade took Andrew to a Braves game weekend before last. That was a special treat for Andrew. Papa and Aunt Giny ended up going along with them since they spent the night in Pikeville with Papa the night before. They drove through Chattanooga and picked up Aunt Giny at her Orange Grove home. They got home around 10 on Sunday evening which wasn't great since school was the next morning but Andrew held in there. I don't think he even missed any points the next day on his responsibility card. *wink*
Other big news in August:
The county fair was here last week. We went on Friday arriving as soon as we could around 5 and left around 8:30. The kids weren't ready to call it a night but Wade and I were! The slide was their favorite "ride" I think. Elizabeth caught up with Haven and Catherine from school and they rode the slide together a few times. :)



Our pastor retired this past Sunday after 46 years of preaching at our church. We had an attendance of 1186 people that morning. My parents started going to Buffalo Ridge Baptist before I was born so Dr. Lasley has always been my preacher. I'm sad to see the day but also excited about our new pastor and what he'll bring to our church for the glory of the Lord.
I have to say that I am struggling with the new blogger features. Most of them are great but I cannot do my photos like I used to. Grrrr!











1 comment:
Whew! Busy, busy! I don't know what blogger features you're talking about, and it's making me curious. My pictures upload like they have for a long time. Interesting. So, does Andrew miss soccer? Was he bored of it? I'm guessing he likes football better. Elizabeth's shark sign is funny! How considerate of her. I like their back-to-school outfits--cute kids. Andrew is almost as tall as his sister!!
My kids like the big slide at the fair too--can ride it over and over. Makes me laugh, as it's kind of a non-ride (KWIM?), but they love it!
Your pastor has been there a long time. I remember you saying that before, but 46 years, wow! Do you have a new one already?
Post a Comment